Saturday 9 March 2013

Worst family DIYer

Hey, its been a while since my last post, so here's the first entry for March. What is the worst bit of DIY a family member has tried to do? My list could be endless and only includes one person... my dad, luckily I learnt my skills from my grandad, otherwise I'd be up excrement's creek without a paddle.
To give you an idea of his level of bad DIY, a good few years ago he tried to fix the exterior of my Grans bath that had cracked and his chosen 'tool' was.... Duct tape, he taped over the cracks and that was it. But this is nothing compared to his worst, his worst DIY-ing will put most of your stories to shame.
He was tidying up his loft, going through boxes and getting a rid of anything he didn't need or use, disposing of excess wood, insulation and piping, and that is where the problem stated. He managed to find a pipe that came out of part of the loft floor and disappear into the corner of the loft, the pipe was not loose, so any normal person would assume it was connected to something like the central heating system and would therefore leave it. Not my dad, his method of thinking consisted of, there is a pipe in the loft, I can't see where it comes from, therefore it is not connected to anything, so I will cut it out. I will give you a moment for this to sink in and have a guess at what could result from his hypothesis.

I've given you an extra line, that should be enough time, so what do you think happened? I will tell you, he cut the pipe with a hack saw and water began pouring out into the loft, so those of you that guessed he flooded the loft, guessed correctly, well done. Following this he shelled out a few grand to have it fixed but never told the professionals how the loft flooded and how the pipe 'broke' into two bits with saw marks on it, although I'm sure they managed to figure it out and had a good laugh about it.

I will leave this entry there and open the comments section for you to try and top this DIY disaster, if you so wish, please follow us on Twitter, @HOGservices and like us on Facebook 'HOG services' or check out the website, www.hogservices.moonfruit.com
Thanks for stopping by to read my blog and I hope you continue to enjoy the updates in future posts.

Thanks again,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment